Monday, June 20, 2011

Back to Bread - Strawberry Bread with Chocolate

Most of the time I prefer savory bread.  Something I can put egg salad or grilled cheese on, or sop up the sauce after a good plate of pasta.  And really, with those descriptions I'm being generous - tearing off a big hunk of french bread and eating it plain is oh-so-good.

But "most of the time" does not equal "all of the time", and there are times when I want my dessert in bread form.  Hey, it requires even less work than cookies!  And with the inclusion of strawberry jam, we can pretend it's healthy.  ;)


2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup strawberry jam
1 egg
2 tbsp butter, cut
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups bread flour
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (I prefer Ghiradelli)
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp active dry yeast
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips (more Ghiradelli!  Also, the mini ones mean the chocolate is more spread out)

This is a 1.5 pound loaf, and it's baked on the regular ol' white bread cycle.  My machine has a signal after the first mix has ended at which you add additional ingredients, this is the ideal time to add the chocolate chips as the more they get worked up, the more likely they are the become a melty mess.  Which really doesn't sound terrible.

I haven't really been patient enough to figure out what the best way to eat this is, besides just eating it straight - butter makes everything better, but it's really not necessary here.  Perhaps if you're feeling crazy, Nutella?

In parting, have a moody emo chocolatey photo:

No comments:

Post a Comment