Saturday, May 7, 2011

Sourdough Bread - with OATMEAL

Before a recent cholesterol test, I asked a couple friends that are in better health if they had any tips for me.  I try to eat pretty well anyway, and am I huge fan of eating fish as often as possible as well as my leafy greens, but I'm still not exactly a saint with everything I eat (just ask any loaf of warm, fresh bread that's recently out of the machine, when there's only half of it left an hour later).  A friend recommended I up my uptake of oatmeal, which I know but I always seem to forget.  So I forgot that tip promptly, and a few days later as I was poking through bread recipes I discovered a sourdough loaf with oatmeal.  It sounded "healthy", but I was really pleased to discover that it was REALLY good!  The sourdough flavor was light and the loaf was pretty solid and somewhat dense.  I thought it was perfect for a turkey sandwich, PB&J, or even just grabbing a hunk of it and nomming it plain!


Ingredients:
3/4 cup of sourdough starter
3/4 cup milk
4 tsp butter - cut up so you don't get all your butter in one spot
3 cups bread flour
1 tbsp brown sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp active dry yeast

AND

1/3 cup of rolled oats (I like the Quaker ones in the cylinder)

The oats go on a baking sheet in a 350F oven for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they starting browning and smelling toasty (NOT burnt!).  In the meantime, throw the rest of the ingredients in the machine and prepare to set it to the regular white bread setting, at 1.5 pounds.  Add your toasted oats on top and start the machine!

Random question: have you ever spent WAY too much time trying to photograph a PB&J sandwich?

1 comment:

  1. Oh Holy Crap. I need this bread!

    Also, to your pb&j question? Answer: not yet.

    ReplyDelete